A blog on diversity, the media and everything in between.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Diversity Coma

I'm in a city with approximately 60% African American.

I'm not exaggerating this is a fact. You can check the most recent US Census Quick Facts to see this.

So why, in one of my first group internship meetings did I hear the editor of my publication say that the African American population is growing in Washington DC and there must be, "why...25% blacks now..." I was dumbfounded.

First thought: Has this man stepped outside lately??
First reaction: A small chuckle (you've got to be kidding me right?) which lead to awkward glances from the other interns--did people really think that was true?

I spent a semester in Washington DC last year devoting my time to a research project that became the inspiration for this blog. My research compared the Washington Afro-American to the Washington Post in terms of their coverage and staff, thereby reflecting on the notion that a diverse newsroom could lead to diverse coverage, which could lead to a diverse readership.

My resources were dated though. I did a short but comprehensive study on the African American press--it's creation it's height and downfalls--and then talked about various ethnic newspapers in the United States and the kind of relationship they have with the main stream press. After my semester in Washington, I continued to follow up on my topic because despite the hectic hours i put into that 40-page-paper I enjoyed investigating into the inner workings of media big-wigs and why is it that there is still a staggering number of minorities inside a newsroom.

As a minority journalist working in today's ethnically homogeneous media--I'd like to try to change that. Or at least bring attention to it.

After hearing that small but stinging statement from my editor I became more aware of my surroundings. One Hispanic print intern, one black online full-time staff and then rest of the dismal minority population worked in advertising or design. Which was great--but their presence in advertising or in design doesn't contribute to the voice of the publication. Writers hardly sees those in design and advertising...

Once again, I found myself to be the only minority at a publication. And this publication in particular serves a city that holds more African Americans than Whites. But that fact is not really visible in the pages of our magazine. Is it because I work in a magazine rather than a newspaper? Is it because this magazine is openly geared to those with a college degree and with a certain income level?

No...I'm not buying it. Diversity is asleep at the wheel--it's all talk. I'm weak just typing about it. Diversity for all intents and purposes is in comatose--the idea, the issue is there but there isn't much we are doing about it--just sitting there drooling on itself. Perhaps I'm choosing these publications for a reason--maybe, but I had better expectations for a Washington publications--there wasn't a whole lot of diversity in the towns I've interned at before. Still Googling names, newspapers and key terms about diversity in the media and still finding old stats that I recall from my research days and even beyond that. How embarrassing. The Knight Foundation did a survey about diversity in major newspaper newsrooms. It's a pretty impressive report from 2005. Users can click on a state and then select their town paper to access a full 'diversity' report about their staff, circulation and a comparison between the two. I looked at some of these statistics in hopes to find a place to work after this internship--I'm tired of being the only minority in the newsroom. But am i ready to pull the plug on diversity--there is still something to be done...but who wants to touch a comatose, drooling thing?

That still shouldn't oust the African American population from our readership. Besides even if it is a magazine--it's a city magazine so there is a legitimate reason and focus to address more 'diverse' issues. Why don't I read more about Anacostia in my magazine? I wonder if in the article on best hair--if the writer talks about best places to purchase a quality weave?

I can see a bigger urge to promote diversity for a newspaper, rather than a magazine. This is a specialized field of journalism where the writing and reporter is tailored to fit a certain audience. Today we have magazine's such as JET and Ebony based in Chicago that have a solid national circulation. But my magazine is not standing up to it's claim...is it really a Washington magazine if it doesn't accommodate to all of the district's population?

Since I've presented my research in April, I've still Googled terms such as "newsroom diversity" "minorities in the newsroom" "minority journalists" There must be a hundred pages I've already seen and the ones that I haven't seen yet are so outdated it seems just plain weird to talk about diversity at that time. Now more than ever it is important to address these issues--when we have a city like Washington DC or Los Angeles with a high "minority" population than a White population. Why are we (the media) turning our eyes away from these statistics--this group of readers waiting to connect with our publication?

I know why...but I don't have the heart to say it. It's a painful truth--a similar pain I felt when I heard my editor continue his talk without even flinching after telling us that the DC black population is 25%.

No comments: